Every once in awhile I come across an article that is excellent. In this case, the article is "How to Dominate in Search Marketing: The Case for Combining PPC & SEO" by Tyler Thursby, Dec 17, 2016 (Search Engine Journal).
To clarify SEO is search engine optimization most commonly done on Google.com and country specific sites like Google.ca.
PPC is pay-per-click, most commonly done on Google.com (and local versions) using Google AdWords. Ads can be placed on other websites (AdSense) and on YouTube.
Below is a list of the summary points of Thursby's article.
- The objective of both SEO and PPC is to increase visibility
- SEO and PPC are complimentary
- First page rankings on a search engine page often receive 90% of the search traffic and most searchers don't go past the first page of results
- SEO is not free; it costs money to have your website rank highly on search engines to generate Organic Traffic
- "PPC is the single greatest advertising tactic available to brands today." by Bill Hunt.
- PPC works because you can reach the right people at the right time and at the right place (online)
Thursby concludes by saying, "Combine the forces of SEO and PPC together to experience the best results."
Great article. Most of our clients do both SEO and PPC.